4.27.2010

priorities

Ryan and I have been doing a lot of talking, thinking, and reflecting lately. I wasn't joking when I said our to-do list was 8 miles long (well, maybe that was a slight exaggeration:) But we really do have so many projects going on and are feeling a little like there is not enough time in the day (or days in the weekend) to accomplish everything we set out to do. The tough part is that all of our obligations are not even in the same town....so add a little driving time to the list. Oh, and a ten month old. But, how can you not stop in the middle of it all to enjoy his giggles and chase him around the house??

Needless to say, we've been prioritizing. And making lists. It's not always fun (well the lists are:), but sometimes the things that you need to do are not the things that you want to do. Sometimes the right thing is the hardest thing. When I see people around me struggling with the same things I try to learn from them. I think I've learned more about what not to do though, which can be just as valuable. We are called to do the jobs the Lord has given us, and to do them well. I'm trying to remember that as I balance all the important things in my life. If I let myself get stretched too thin, I won't be able to do any of it well.

It's a tough thing to decide how to spend our time. It feels good to know that Ryan and I are on the same page. We know that these projects do have an end in sight. We will cross things off the list. And we know that God is good, even when things are overwhelming. We've seen that time and time again.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

My favorite description of doing too much:"...feeling stretched and thin, like butter spread over too much toast..." (Tolkien) Yay for lists, boo to feeling overwhelmed, and horray for little Mason spreading good cheer. I hope you find your balance soon, friend! There is light at the end of the tunnel.