12.15.2010

mocha fudge cookies

This was a new recipe I tried this year. They turned out really good...a hint of coffee flavor with lots of chocolate and nuts. Nice and chewy. They came from the 2008 Taste of Home Cookies magazine. I should mention that the original recipe makes 18 dozen cookies! Really? 18 dozen of just one kind? I cut everything into fourths and figured I better try them out before I filled my entire freezer with them. Here is my version which makes about 4 1/2 dozen.

Mocha Fudge Cookies

1/2 c. butter
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips, divided
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. baking cocoa
1 tsp. instant coffee granules
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped walnuts


In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter and 1/2 c. chocolate chips. Remove from heat and stir until smooth. Combine the sugar, cocoa and coffee; add to butter mixture. Stir in brown sugar. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture. Stir in the walnuts and remaining chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 10-11 minutes or until edges are set. Remove to wire racks and cool.

Well, tomorrow is the last day of school before Christmas break. It should be a fun day full of finishing up projects, consuming too much sugar, and watching second graders giggle every time someone says "see you next year!" Then I'm off to a cookie exchange. And no, I'm not bringing these....I made a family favorite: snowballs. I'm looking forward to some fellowship with friends and kicking off my holiday break. And to make it even more festive, we're supposed to finally get some snow! Cross your fingers.

No comments: