7.12.2010

coconut shrimp


I love love love coconut shrimp. It's my favorite thing to get at Red Lobster. It's a little spicy. A little sweet. And full of shrimp goodness. When I came across a healthier recipe in Cooking Light I couldn't wait to give it a try. I've made it a couple times. In fact, I find myself stocking up on apricot preserves just so I can make this. It comes in handy considering the nearest Red Lobster is over an hour away. Here's the recipe:

Coconut Shrimp with Apricot Dipping Sauce
Cooking Light 2008

1 can light coconut milk, divided
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 c. fresh cilantro
1 1/4 pounds uncooked medium shrimp
3/4 c. flour
4 egg whites
3/4 c. panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
3/4 c. flaked coconut, lightly toasted
1/3 c. reduced-sugar apricot preserves
1 tsp. spicy brown mustard

Place 2 Tbsp. coconut milk in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate. In a large resealable bag, combine the jalapeno, cilantro, and remaining coconut milk. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails on. Add to bag; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Place flour in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, lightly beat the egg whites. In a third bowl (ready to do some dishes??) combine the bread crumbs and coconut. Drain and discard marinade. Dip shrimp in flour and egg whites, then roll in crumb mixture.
Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 7-9 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, for dipping sauce, add preserves and mustard to the reserved coconut milk. Serve with shrimp.

No comments: