6.14.2012

Hawaii

We just got home from one of our best vacations ever.  We spent a week in Hawaii on the island of Kauai with my dear mama, sister, brother-in-law, and nephew, Jackson.  We left our bambinos in the care of Grammie and Grandpa.  Even though our week was jam packed with lots of sightseeing and adventures it was also so very relaxing. The island is totally laid back and the weather was simply beautiful.  

 Ryan and I hiked the Kalalau trail to the Hanakapi'ai falls which was only 8 miles roundtrip.  The first few miles were along the coast which was so pretty and then we were in a tropical forest full of fruit and delicious smelling plants.  The waterfall was huge!  And hiking at sea level was pretty much awesome, considering most of our hiking is at about 9,000-12,000 feet. 
 Ryan and I also hiked to the Secret Lava Pools where we soaked in a fairly deep pool watching the waves roll in.
 Some of my favorite things were hanging out with the fam, trying as much local food as we could stand, and shopping in all the fun towns along the coast.  And of course hanging at the beach.





During our stay there we were able to travel all the way from the north end of the island to the south end.  We were staying on the north shore, which was lush, green, and beautiful.  The landscape kept changing as you went farther south.  Down at the south shore we visited the Waimea Canyon, the Kalalau Valley, Po'ipu and the Spouting Horn Beach. 




We also went on a sunset sail and watched the sun set over the ocean and attended a garden tour and lu'au.  I loved both of these. So many pretty sights and good food!



We spent a ton of time on the various beaches.  Some were so peaceful and vast and others had crashing waves that you could watch for hours.  We snorkled (for my first time) at Ke'e, Tunnels, and Hideaways.  The sea life was incredible.  We swam and enjoyed the sunshine at Hanalei Bay, 'Anini, Secret Beach, Waipouli, Maha'ulepu, and Po'ipu Beach Park. 






My sister and I were trying to decide what was our favorite and we just couldn't.  I loved laughing and making memories with my family. And I love going new places with Ryan and trying new things. But, it's also so nice to be home.  

2 comments:

Hillary said...

looks amazing - we loved Hawaii. Glad you had a great time.

Wendy J said...

I enjoyed reading yourr post