2.24.2012

New York-Style Crumb Cake

We love a good coffee cake around here. We went through a time when we made it every weekend. We've tried lots of different recipes. There are so many different ingredients you can add. When I first browsed through the Baked cookbook, this one caught my attention because the description said that the crumb topping "is obscenely large in proportion to the cake." Now that sounds like my kind of coffee cake. Everyone know the crumb topping is the best part. Yet, every time I looked at the recipe I just couldn't bring myself to make something for breakfast that had so much sugar and butter in it. But, I finally decided I just had to try it....then I could adjust the recipe to our liking.
I did adapt this recipe the first time I tried it by reducing the sugar and using {homemade} maple yogurt instead of sour cream because it's what I had on hand.  It was the best coffee cake I've made in a long time.  It was cousin {Marylin} and Mason approved.  Mason actually called me (well, had daddy call me) at school one morning and we had the following conversation:

Me: Hi Mason
Mason: Hi mommy!  I ate all the coffee cake!  We need to make more.  You know? The one with all the butter?
I couldn't stop laughing.

The huge amounts of crumb topping did not disappoint.  Actually, there was so much crumb topping that I saved some for another use.  I was planning on topping some peaches or apples with it for dessert, but after eating the coffee cake we thought it would make a delicious filling for homemade pop-tarts.  But I haven't done either.  We put it in the fridge and just keep adding some to our oatmeal in the mornings.  I'm sure I'll be making this again. 

New York Style Crumb Cake
adapted from Baked

Crumb Topping
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 c. butter, melted and cooled
2 1/2 c. flour

Cake
2 c. flour
1/2 c. wheat flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 Tbsp) butter
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla

Make the crumb topping by stirring together the sugars, salt, and cinnamon.  Add the melted butter and whisk until combined.  Stir in the flour and set aside.

Make the cake by sifting together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl.  Cream the butter until smooth.  Add the sugar and cream until fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until incorporated.  Add the yogurt and vanilla.  Add the dry indgredients gradually. 

Pour the batter into a greased 9x13 pan.  Squeeze the topping into balls and pull chunks off, dropping them all over the cake.  Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes. 

No comments: